Sunday 2 February 2014

It's another Sunday morning and I had a very relaxing three days off. I traveled to Regina to see 'West Side Story' with my friend Kim, it was amazing. Yesterday afternoon I started a baby quilt for my new grandson who is due in April. This week's sermon is about the Beatitudes. What do they mean to you? I have been doing some reading from a book called 'Honor and Shame in the Gospel of Matthew' by Jerome H. Neyrey. This is a fascinating book about the Honor and Shame Society which Jesus would have grown up in and certainly puts a new perspective on how we look at things. Neyrey is talking about using the word Honor instead of Blessed or Happy when talking about the beatitudes and about how Jesus ascribed Honor to those who had no honor. Honor was a very important part of their lives in the Middle East and still is today in a lot of countries. We in the west don't really understand this society. The entire honor and shame idea is not familiar to us. Well hopefully, after today we will know a bit more. We also hear from the prophet Micah the familiar words: What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with our God. What amazing words! So, as I said a couple of weeks ago in a sermon when I quoted, John Wesley, “Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can”. Have a wonderful Sunday! Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment