Sunday 27 April 2014

to doubt or not to doubt

One of the things I am most grateful for in my life is my ability to have doubts. I grew up in a house where my father would answer after we asked why, Because I said so! As I grew up he said believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. Both of these seem to contradict themselves. "Because I said so" is never a good answer to give to anyone. We all need to be able to have the answers we need when we need them. I think we get those answers when we question and struggle with our thoughts and our actions. We all have times in our lives when we seem so sure of what we need to do and other times when we are filled with doubts. You know, it is okay to have doubts, we need them in order to give us the encouragement to keep seeking what it is we are meant to do in this lifetime and to be the best people we can be doing it. Our gospel story today in church, written by the writer we call John, is the story we often call Doubting Thomas. We often use that title as if it were a bad thing to have doubts, but I think it is a great thing! I wish we could all be a little more like Thomas and then we might work twice as hard to discover the mysteries of life. I think Jesus encouraged people to have a strong faith life, but not one of blind faith, perhaps open eyed faith. A faith where we question, struggle, and work together for a better world. May we all be open eyed as we go through this day and the rest of our days. Go with the love of all that is holy in your hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment