Thursday 9 April 2015

How honest should ministers be? A question to ponder!

So, I came across a question in my research for my sermon today. The topic was doubting Thomas. So the question is: "how honest should minister's be to their congregations?

Should ministers tell folks just what they learned in seminary, should they be truly honest about what they think and what they believe or should they just keep compromising what they believe to make church a safe place for people to never have their faith challenged, just a nice place to visit on Sunday morning so we can feel better for the coming week.

So I am putting this out into the world, I wonder what folks really think about this. How would you feel about your minister, or any minister, standing up in the pulpit on Sunday morning and telling you about something that he or she no longer believed in. Would it change the way you felt about them, would it put their job in jeopardy. I think many ministers as they learn and grown have their faith grow with them and often they are left trying to decide what they can still say with integrity to a congregation of folks who aren't still studying and learning. For most of us our faith grows as we grow and mature throughout our lives, but for people who study a lot, who read a lot and who are challenged by their peers a lot, their faith may grow in leaps and bounds and have a huge impact on their lives. What happens then? Where is their place in the church? Does this change their ability to be a pastoral minister. Would you still want this person to be your minister. I think this is the struggle a lot of clergy have in our world today.

Just some thoughts running in my mind this day. What do you think? Talk to me sometime if you see me out and about or stop in and have a visit at the office. I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.

Have a great Spring Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment