Wednesday 29 August 2018

Inside and Outside

In our scripture reading for this coming Sunday, Jesus tells the Pharisees that it is what comes out of the body that defiles, not what goes it. This is in response to the Pharisees accusing the disciples of eating without following the purity laws. So I have been doing some research and thinking about these thoughts. If we are to take Jesus seriously I think we need to honestly look at ourselves and who we are and how we respond to things. What is it that influences us? What is it that lies behind our motivations? Are we doing the things that we really want to do for the right reasons. Are we doing them to find glory and power for ourselves. So many questions. Many things to ponder before I can write a sermon this week. What is it that comes from you that defiles you? Are we as careful as we should be about what we say and do? I'm not sure I am. There are many times I say or do something and immediately regret it. I hope I am courageous enough to stand up and admit that I have done something wrong. Remember when it comes out of your mouth, you can't put it back. What has been heard has been heard. So take some time this week and ask yourself these questions. Maybe journaling about them will be helpful. I think that is what I will do.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment