Sunday 7 December 2014

Peace

Today is the second Sunday of Advent, the Sunday of Peace. In church we will explore how we think of peace. What do you think of when you think of the word peace. Is it world peace, peace in your heart, peace in your soul, peace and quiet. whatever it is, it is the focus of today.

It has been a busy week this week and last. I am not sure why but things just seemed to steam roll. Ever have one of those weeks. Hopefully this coming week will be a quieter one. I met with a group of women one night this week and we read from Joyce Rupp's book, called "Prayers to Sophia". The word Sophia is the Greek word for Wisdom. So when we read of Sophia in scripture, we read of the feminine side of the Holy or the Divine Feminine she is sometimes called. However you understand the divine, she is an important part. The prayer we read was entitled 'A New Beginning'. We read this because we started a new year in the church last week and any day is a good day to begin again. This prayer brought me great peace and I want to share part of it with you this morning...

Faithful Guide,
you sit at the gate of my life,
inviting me to eagerly enter
the newness stretching before me.
As I attend to the old burdens
that have weighed me down with worry,
I look ahead with hopeful expectation
to what my heart most needs.
I also recognize the absolute necessity
of living in the present moment.
I choose to direct my daily attentiveness
toward what will give my life greater balance.
I seek to let go of what keeps me unloving.
I long to contribute to peace in this world....

And it goes on from there but what powerful words for us to read on this Sunday of Peace. May peace surround you and yours this Advent/Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment